Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Panasonic TH-50PZ850U Amazing TV

This is my first HDTV. It is a huge upgrade over my 15 year old 27" Philips TV. So saying the picture is amazing really isn't saying much; I think I would say the same thing about almost any high end HDTV I bought. The TV looks awesome even when shut off. I do have it in a room with lots of windows, but I see no problems with glare. When the TV is off during the day, I can see reflections on the screen. Once I turn the TV on, however, I can only see those reflections if I really stare hard beyond the actual picture. When I just focus on watching the picture on the TV, I don't see any reflections.

I also considered a Sony XBR LCD TV, but the pictures on LCDs always look "cartoonish" to me. They just don't pop out like they do on a Plasma. Panasonic and Pioneer always get excellent reviews from CNet and Consumer Reports so I knew those were the brands I would look at. The price to value upgrade for the Pioneer just wasn't there for me so I went with the Panasonic. I debated between the 800U and the 850U. Ultimately I went with the 850U mainly because of the internet connection. I only paid a couple of hundred dollars more for the 850U. I know the internet content on the TV is limited now, but I'm sure this content will really open up in the future. Plus it is nice to get firmware updates over the internet. It's the same reason why I plan on getting the Yamaha RXV-3900 instead of the 1900 when I buy a new receiver.

All in all this is a great TV and I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment